Student Travel Grants
Student Travel Grants are awarded to support an individual student's participation in an educational travel program of their choice. Our application process requires the cooperation of the individual student and an Education Partner to complete and submit an application for support.
- Grants are available to high school students in the Chicago area.
- Grants are available up to $4,000 per student.
- Applications must be received on or before March 31. Our committee reviews applications in mid-April.
Carefully read all the guidelines below before applying. If you feel that you meet all the eligibility requirements, we look forward to hearing from you and considering your application. If you do not receive an email from us confirming receipt of your completed application, please contact us to make sure that we have received all the necessary information.
Look for the application link at the bottom of this page.
Farther Foundation enables students from economically disadvantaged circumstances to participate in educational travel experiences where they explore interests, expand horizons, gain inspiration and elevate aspirations for future academic and life success.
- Current high school sophomores and juniors from Chicago and the surrounding area.
- Students from economically disadvantaged families based upon U.S. Department of Health & Human Services poverty guidelines and other family circumstances.
- Generally, students without previous enrichment travel opportunities that have met a minimum threshold for academic achievement.
- Students sponsored by an Education Partner and actively involved in programs that enhance regular school curriculum and support the student's own demonstrated dedication to personal growth.
- Educational travel opportunities provided by established operators that have designed age appropriate programs in which students become immersed in new cultures and experiences.
- Programs that allow the student to interact with others from different backgrounds.
- Programs that expand the student's artistic, scientific, academic or foreign language skills and abilities.
- Programs generally two weeks in duration or longer.
- Programs may be foreign or domestic.
- Grants of up to $4,000 to support a single student's participation in a program.
- Grants may cover program fees, travel to and from the program location and other costs such as passport fees, vaccinations, required insurance and essential equipment.
- Whenever possible, grants are awarded to the Education Partner or program provider, not directly to the sponsored student.
- Education Partners are schools, community organizations or student support organizations that provide students with extra-curricular support (e.g. tutoring, mentoring, internships, extended school days, after-school programming, leadership training, college preparatory activities).
- Education Partners serve as a reference and a partner for the student in the application process.
- Education Partners are the point of contact and liaison for Farther Foundation in facilitating communication with the students.
Applications are due on or before March 31.
The selection committee meets in mid-April to consider all completed applications received by the deadline.
Application Submission Procedure
- The Education Partner is responsible for working with individual students to ensure applications are complete before submission.
- We prefer to have applications completed online - click the "APPLY NOW" button below to access the online application.
- It is best to review the application ahead of time, gather the information you need and prepare your answers. Once you have begun, you will not be able to save your application to complete later.
- You may download a PDF version of the application here >